Ever wondered why Pakistan is so marred by an International and National credibility predicament? Well hypocrisy, they say, is the mother of all credibility issues. When we go down in history, this is exactly how we shall be remembered; a hypocrite ensemble. So much, that on a scale of 1 to 100, we are pretty capable of scoring a 101; an additional mark for pulling off a ‘face-palm’ right after we get to know and just before we wink at our toes. No list can ever be exhaustive if an explanation by example is drawn, but the following can give a fairly good idea as to our hypocritical blemishes;
1. Anything that even remotely resembles criticism of a man-made edict is tantamount to blasphemy but taking jabs at another faith or lashing out litter jokes at anyone else’s deity is quite acceptable.
2. Rituals of own, no matter how irrational, are highly revered, while, castigating perceived absurdity emanating from a ritual outside your realm of belief is admirable.
3. It is alright to slander corrupt politicians while discreetly evading taxes.
4. Veena Malik baring it all is ‘baighairti’ while Mukhtaran Mai’s gang rape is pretty much just that; “lack of evidence”.
5. Aafia’s detention is shameful while Aasia’s death row is… well, just law.
6. A civilian Memo is treachery while underhand military deals are downright pragmatic.
7. American support of Israelis is duplicity of character while Pakistani support of Taliban is “strategic foresight”.
8. Drone attacks are condemnable while schools churning out religious fanatics are nothing short of “charity organizations”.
9. Transvestites are a symbol of utmost disgust, but cross dressing from ‘Khaki’ to ‘Sherwani’ is well-tolerated.
10. Our constant state of war; Us against the United States against religious militants against us against India/Israel/Zionists/Free Masons/Communists/Kuffar/Veena Malik/Mukhtaran Mai against absolute reason; but in the end, dollars are usually the decisive factor (if not Fauji cornflakes).